Geolocation activities allow you to conduct surveys, discussions or even diary studies to members when they are in a specific location.
For more information about the member experience, click here to read more.
Step 1: Create a Location Group
The first step to creating geo-targeted content is to create a location group. A location group defines which locations community members are able to check-in to.
- Go to Activities > Asset Library > Locations.
- Click the “+” button to create a new location group.
- Give your location group a name, then click the “Save” button to continue. This name is for admin purposes only.
- Upload Locations: Use this method to add multiple locations at once using a CSV file. The file requires: Location Name, Address, Radius in Feet (how close to the address the user needs to be to unlock content). You can use the link to download a sample file to help you build the file.
- Once the file is uploaded, it will begin processing in the background. This could take a while if there are many locations in the file.
- You can leave the page and the file will continue processing.
- Once done, the successfully added locations will display in the list of enabled locations.
- For the enabled locations, you can edit the name and radius.
- Enter Locations Manually: To add locations one-by-one, simply enter the address and radius and click the “Add Location” button. The location will be instantly added to the list of enabled locations below. You will need to provide a name for the location.
- If you need to delete locations from a group, select the checkbox next to the locations you want to delete. A delete button will display and you can click to remove the locations from the group.
- When done creating or editing a location group, click the “Save” button.
Step 2: Enable Geolocation for Activity or Member Forum
Once you have at least one location group created, you can enable geolocation for Activities or Member Forums.
- When creating an Activity or Member Forum, you’ll see a new tab for “Geolocation”:
- Click the checkbox to enable Geolocation and more options will display on the page.
- You must add at least one location group, but you can add as many location groups as you’d like.
- For each location group enabled, you can click the “Download” button to download a document that lists all locations in that group.
- Next, you need to choose the Location Verification Method.
- Automatically check location when app is opened: When this option is selected, the member’s location is checked automatically when they open the mobile app. This method does not require the user to click a “check-in” button to unlock the content.
- Check-in: When this option is selected, the user will be required to navigate to the content detail page and click the “check-in” button to verify location and unlock the content.
- Finally, you can enable a Preview message for geolocation content. When enabled, the message displays in both the desktop/browser and mobile app version of the content detail page. This message should be used to tell members where they should go to unlock the content.
- When the “check-in” method is used, the Preview Text is required because members will be required to view the content detail page in order to unlock it.
- If gamification is enabled for your community, you can also give the user points for unlocking content. The option to add points for unlocking content is available in the “Actions & Points” tab.
- Once the content is published, it will be available for members to unlock with the mobile app.
Content Export with Geolocations
When geo-targeting is enabled for content, there will be two additional columns in the Member tab of content export. For each member, you will see:
- the location the user visited to unlock the content
- the timestamp when the location was verified