Member Profiles in Fuel Cycle are comprised of basic members details and demographic/custom data collected through Fuel Cycle “polls.” Data can also be manually appended to member profiles through polls.
The member profile can be completely customized to fit the needs of your community and the information you collect in the profile can be used for creating dynamic groups as well as for segmenting data exports.
To set-up and customize the member profile, go to Members > Profile Settings:
Step 1: Member Info
This first section includes the basic information all members will be required to provide as part of the profile creation process. The Page Title and Description are customizable and display to the user above the member info fields when they create their account. They also appear above the member info fields in Account Settings once logged in as a member.
Below the Description, you’ll see the information collected during the profile creation process in Fuel Cycle communities.
This information includes:
- Profile Photo: If you don’t want members to upload a custom profile photo, deselect the checkbox next to the “eye” icon. When disabled, all members will have a generic avatar and cannot customize their photo.
- Username: All users are required to have a username, which displays next to all actions they perform in the community. For example, if the member comments on a discussion, it will display as a comment by “username.”
- First Name: By default, this does not display to other members. If you want the first name to display to other members when they view Public Profile, select the checkbox next to the “public profile” icon.
- Last Name: By default, this does not display to other members. If you want the last name to display to other members when they view Public Profile, select the checkbox next to the “public profile” icon.
- Email Address
- Age: There are a few options available with Age. You can show the user’s age to other members on the public profile page by selecting the checkbox next to the “public profile” icon. You can disable the age question entirely by selecting the checkbox next to the “eye” icon. You can require that the user answer the age question by selecting the checkbox next to the “asterisk” icon.
- Gender: There are a few options available with Gender. You can show the user’s gender to other members on the public profile page by selecting the checkbox next to the “public profile” icon. You can disable the gender question entirely by selecting the checkbox next to the “eye” icon. You can require that the user answer the gender question by selecting the checkbox next to the “asterisk” icon.
- Mobile Number: By default, the mobile verification question will not display to members. However, if you want to require mobile verification when members create their account, select the “asterisk” icon. When the user signs up, they will be prompted with a message to verify their mobile number. Mobile verification is a very effective way of preventing fraud and duplicate member accounts.
Step 2: Member Profile
This next section is where you can add “polls”, which consist of demographic and custom questions. During sign-up, this is the second page of registration.
Similar to Step 1, the Title and Description will display above the questions.
Below Description, you’ll see a section called “Add Demographic Question.” There are two types of questions:
These are standard demographic questions that can be enabled for any Fuel Cycle community. These questions cannot be edited, but they are used in the Dashboard reporting when enabled.
The predefined polls include:
- Marital Status
- Facebook Link
- Twitter Link
- LinkedIn Link
- Street Line 2
- Zip Code
- Employment Status
To add a question, simply select it from the drop-down and click the “Add” button.
Once the question is added, it will display above with a few options.
The following options can be enabled/disabled by using the checkboxes:
- Display to Member: When selected, the question will display to member users.
- Display to Client: When selected, the question will display to client users.
- Display to Moderators: When selected, the question will display to moderator users.
- Required: When selected, the user will be required to answer the question.
When you have more than one question on this page, you can use the arrows to customize the ordering of questions. If you want to remove the question, click the “x” button to remove the question completely.
You can create custom polls that best fit your needs.
Custom Polls can also be used to manually append data to member profiles behind-the-scenes. To manually append data, you’ll build custom poll(s) and disable all display options so that members will never be asked the question(s). You can then manually upload data into your custom polls via a batch update.
There are two ways to create questions. Simply click the “Create” button from this screen to open the question builder, or go to Surveys > Profile Questions tab to view all questions available or create new questions.
When you start a new question, you must first select the Question Type. The following options are available:
- Text Box: Open-ended question
- Single Choice
- Multiple Choice
- Grid Single Choice
- Grid Multiple Choice
Once you select the question type, follow the prompts to build the question.
- Include in Export (checkbox): When selected, this question will be included in Content and Member exports in the Member Profile data.
- Question Reference: The reference is used in the data exports rather than displaying the entire question. You can only use one word to represent the question.
- Question Message: This is the question that will be asked of members.
- Answers: To add answer options, click the “Create New Answer” button. For each answer, you need to provide both a Reference and Message. The Reference displays in data exports and can only be one word to represent the answer. The Message is the text that actually displays to the member when they are answering the question.
For each answer, you can choose to hide it by deselecting the “eye” icon. This is useful if you want to disable the option temporarily. You can use the arrows to move the answer up or down. And, you can use the “x” button to remove the answer completely.
After creating the custom question, click the “Save” button.
Once the question is saved, it will be created and available to use. To add the question to the profile, return to Members > Profile Settings and select the question from the drop-down next to “Custom Profile Question” and click the “Add” button.
The same visibility options are available to custom questions as the demographic questions (i.e., ability to display to members/clients/mods, require question, etc.)
Continue with adding predefined and custom questions as needed to build out the member profile page to your preference and research needs.